Recipe by Amanda Mason
Prep Time: 10 mins / Cook Time 20 mins / Total Time 30 mins
While the weather is still warm in Central Florida where I live; I just had to share this recipe because it is incredibly tasty and flavorful. While it’s good on cold days, it soothes the soul on days that feel emotionally cold. This is a great recipe to bring to a friend or family member recovering from illness. Add some crusty bread, a salad, and some fresh fruit salad with a cookie or two and you have a great dinner. Whether its for a friend or your family, you’ll make this time and time again. Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Long Grain White Rice, uncooked (I use Arborio, Orzo or Basmati)
- 2 Tablespoons Leek, (white part of leek, chopped)
- 2 Celery stalks, sliced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced (I added to this recipe)
- 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken, shredded (I used Costco’s cut up chicken)
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon, juice
- Zest of 2 Lemon
- ½ teaspoon Dill, dried
- Parsley, for garnish
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, leek, carrots, celery and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, water and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the rise is cooked al-dente, about 15-20 minutes.
- Crack the 3 eggs in a separate bowl. Slowly pour 1 cup of hot soup broth from the pan into the bowl of eggs while whisking.
- After the eggs are mixed with the broth, whisk the egg mixture into the soup.
- Add the chicken, dill, lemon juice and lemon zest into the soup and stir well.
- Cook the soup until it’s done, about 5 more minutes. Add in salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.