King Arthur Baking Company
This simple yellow cake with a broiled coconut-butter-brown sugar topping is an all-time favorite. It’s quick and easy, and travels very nicely right in its baking pan.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake: 32 Min
Yield: one 8’ square or 9” round cake
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
1 ½ tablespoons butter, cold
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
½ cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or dark brown sugar, packed
¼ cup milk, at room temperature
1 cup large-flake coconut, unsweetened or 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 8” square or 9” round baking pan.
- To make the cake: In a missing bowl, beat the eggs until frothy, then add the sugar, beating at high speed until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter together to boiling. Add to ingredients in bowl, beating to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, util the top springs back when lightly touched with your finger, and the edges begin to pull away from the pan. Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Turn on the broiler in the oven.
- To make the topping: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar, milk and coconut, stirring to combine.
- Pour the topping over the warm cake, and place under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and bubbling.
- Store the cake for up to 3 days on the counter, or freeze for up to a month.
- TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS : Watch the topping carefully as you broil it, because it goes from golden to burned very quickly.
Blessings for Health and Wellness. From my kitchen to yours, Loretta